Featured Post

Analysis: Astra Militarum Regiment Mathhammer [Revised]

Now that most of the rules from the new Codex Astra Militarum have previewed/leaked online, it's time to start our proper Faction an...

Sunday, 14 December 2014

WIP: Astra Militarum Chimera #2

Astra Militarum, Imperial Guard, Wheeled, Conversion, Chapterhouse

Here are some more WIP shots of my first two Rapid Response Chimeras. Both are fully assembled and have their basecoat colours applied. I really want to finish painting these guys but I'm going to force myself to stop at this stage; I need to stay disciplined and finish a squad before I allow myself to paint a tank!

Astra Militarum, Imperial Guard, Wheeled, Conversion, Chapterhouse

The Lasgun Arrays and rear ramp are not glued into place yet. I will paint the six lasguns separately, glue them in, then glue the ramp shut. I am generally not a fan of moving parts on my models (turrets excepted). I also think that gluing the ramp shut will add some necessary structural stability to the Rapid Response Chimera, since the side-walls of the Chapterhouse wheeled conversion kit are dangerously thin and brittle.

Astra Militarum, Imperial Guard, Wheeled, Conversion, Chapterhouse

The hull is painted AP Skeleton Bone, to match the cloth on my infantry; I could have painted the vehicles in AP Army Green to match the armour on my infantry, but that would have looked very out-of-place on my planned desert terrain. I think this approach will tie my infantry and vehicles together into a cohesive-looking army that will complement my home gaming table.

Astra Militarum, Imperial Guard, Wheeled, Conversion, Chapterhouse

When I resume painting these Chimeras, my plan is to:

  • Detail the weapons and wheels with AP Gun Metal
  • Add some stowage in AP Army Green and AP Leather Brown
  • Apply some subtle weathering by sponging on some GW Mechanicus Standard Grey and highlighting the larger paint chips with AP Gun Metal
  • Wash the whole vehicle in AP Quickshade Strong Tone
  • Maybe add some decals prior to a matte varnish
  • Paint all the lenses and targeters
I have lots of great bitz to add as vehicle stowage to make these APCs really look like their crews and squads are living out of them on a long campaign. I have left these separate so I can spray them with the appropriate Army Painter colour primers before glueing them on to the Chimera—this should save a lot of time.

Astra Militarum, Imperial Guard, Chimera, Conversion, Verlinden

Any weathering I apply to these guys will be subtle—I really think 'less is more' when it comes to weathering. I've seen plenty of otherwise well-painted vehicles ruined (in my opinion) by ridiculous amounts of paint chipping, rust, oil streaks, etc. I think a lot of painters get carried away trying to show off their range of techniques and lose sight of the overall aesthetic. Plus, the Company Commissar would have to work overtime 're-educating' the Maintenance Platoon if they were allowing the Imperium's war materiel go into battle in such a disgraceful state!

Astra Militarum, Imperial Guard, Wheeled, Conversion, Chapterhouse

But it's time for me to leave these guys alone for now, and get on with batch painting the infantry!

10 comments:

  1. I love my wheeled Taurox conversion! I just need to get it on the table to play, now. I agree that in a mixed-AV army, those TL autocannons could come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see what you've done work the kit, please post a picture or email me and I'll post them for you. Did you use the Victoria conversion kit or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some great chimeras. I kinda of want you to hurry up and paint them...squad pfffT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must... resist... temptation! 😜 My plan is to paint each squad then its transport, with the Company Commander and his squad as the reward at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Taurox is a relatively rare sight on the board for two reasons:
    1. Most existing AM players have a stack of Chimeras already and continue to use them.
    2. The stock model is ugly as hell. It looks decent with a wheeled conversion, but 'as is' it looks like an Ork designed it.

    The unit cost and abilities make it effective in an army as you say, but it hasn't been popular.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found this article a little late but I very much agree. Thought I'd share my wheeled versions too. Wheels courtesy of Zinge Industries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing that pic Brendan, those models look great! I really like the extra stowage you've added, I plan to do the same with mine.


    Those Zinge wheels look very similar to the Victoria wheels I bought, and if those weren't too hard to assemble then they might be the better option, since I've had a lot of trouble with my conversion attempts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used the wheels from Blood and Skulls Industries. I've got images of the conversion (without the final paint job) here: http://40krefit.blogspot.com/2014/11/taurox-conversion-pt1.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Forgot to get back to you! Here is the link to my blog article on it: http://40krefit.blogspot.com/2014/11/taurox-conversion-pt1.html

    ReplyDelete