Featured Post

Analysis: Astra Militarum in 8th Ed, HQ Units

Let's analyse the HQ options available to Astra Militarum . Like all my reviews, this will be from a competitive play perspective, ...

Thursday, 18 December 2014

WIP: Void Shield Generator #1

CNC, MDF

Here are some WIP shots of the Void Shield Generator I'm building to break up the monotony of assembling mass Guardsmen. I've used the Sci Fi Power Generator model from CNC Miniature Scenery and a standard 120 mm oval flyer base. I think this 'Power Generator' looks more like a shield generator, not unlike those from the start of The Empire Strikes Back—I just hope this shield generator performs better for me than it did for the Rebels on Hoth!

Stronghold Assault specifies the Void Shield Generator Fortification as a Medium Building, like an Imperial Bastion; I think this model might be a bit small for a Medium Building, but given that a bigger footprint would be better in-game I don't think anyone will complain about it. I intend to measure the Void Shield area of effect from the base, rather than the model itself, since I think this will be both fairer and easier in-game.

CNC, MDF

CNC Miniature Scenery make kits out of 1 mm thick MDF wood that has been laser cut/etched from sheets about the same size as a piece of A4 paper. The MDF sheet is basically the 'sprue' that you have to cut the components from prior to assembly. I've used a few CNC Miniature Scenery kits before—the paint and tool racks that you can see in the background of the first picture are all MDF—but this kit was by far the most complex and difficult to assemble. I really like the aesthetic of this model, but it was not much fun to build, and I don't know if I'll be keen to build more MDF terrain any time soon.

CNC, MDF

CNC, MDF

CNC, MDF

The hardest part of assembling this model was getting all those inclined panels glued into place on a consistent angle. I did the best I could and had to settle for that, which was very difficult given my perfectionist approach to modelling! I used PVA glue to assemble this kit so I was able to flex the model when the glue was semi-set, and by taping up the flexed model while the glue cured I was able to get it fairly well-shaped.

CNC, MDF

CNC, MDF

Once the two halves were complete, I glued them together and clamped them in place while the glue cured. I must admit that I'm a little bit worried about the whole model being built from lots of little parts held together by PVA glue and spring tension...

CNC, MDF

I sprayed the assembled model with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer prior to AP Army Green colour primer. There were a lot of surface imperfections from the assembly (excess glue, MDF edge tearing) that I cleaned up as best I could between the plain and colour primer coats. The finish is not as clean as I would like, especially for a model with lots of flat surface, but I have a solution in mind.

I'm planning to weather my Rapid Response Chimeras by sponging-on some dark grey around selected panel edges. I don't have much experience with this technique so I'm going to experiment with this Void Shield Generator before I apply it to my tanks. I will concentrate the paint chipping around those areas of the model that have the worst surface imperfections in order to conceal the blemishes through optical deception.

I'm also going to practice my Object Source Lighting painting on this model, and make it look like a lot of plasma-like energy is leaking from the core of the Void Shield Generator. I might even practice decal application by adding a serial numbers or some hazard markings. Lots of opportunities to prepare for painting my Astra Militarum armour!

This mini-project is currently my top priority, since I may want to use it with my Eldar army in a tournament coming up in a few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. End result looks great, but definitely sounds like it was a lot of work. Thanks for letting us know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing one of these was a good break from the Guardsmen, but I don't think I'd want to build a whole table's worth of MDF terrain.

    ReplyDelete