Featured Post

Analysis: Astra Militarum in 8th Ed, HQ Units

Let's analyse the HQ options available to Astra Militarum . Like all my reviews, this will be from a competitive play perspective, ...

Thursday, 8 January 2015

WIP: Eldar Jetbike Autarch #3

Russian, Alternative, Conversion

Third time lucky, I've finished the Jetbike and I'm not changing anything else on it! Time to move on to the Autarch rider.

Russian, Alternative, Conversion

When I started this project I had no idea how painful it would be. At first I just thought that the notorious difficulty of painting red was the problem but I've come to the realisation that I am really just sick of my Eldar at the moment—I'd much rather be working on my Astra Militarum.

Russian, Alternative, Conversion

Russian, Alternative, Conversion

Don't get me wrong, these Russian Jetbikes really are beautiful miniatures. I'm just not feeling the love for Eldar in general right now. I'm not happy with how my current collection is painted, have been toying with the idea of a mass repainting project for a while, but I need to stay disciplined and just stick to working on my Astra Militarum.

Russian, Alternative, Conversion

Russian, Alternative, Conversion

In my last update I was considering stripping the rear half of the Jetbike so I could repaint it using the same techniques I used for the front half. With heavy heart I dropped it in a jar of paint stripper so I could get a consistent finish across the entire model. The third time around painting this Jetbike was actually very quick and easy—good news considering I have nine more to do at some point.

Russian, Alternative, Conversion

The big white Saim Hann Craftworld rune on the canopy went on pretty nicely, helped along by Micro Set and Micro Sol, but the small black rune behind the saddle was an absolute pain to get right. No amount of Micro Sol would get it to conform to the blister, even with small edge cuts in the decal. To make things worse, when I matte varnished to take off the shine of the Quickshade and decals it revealed really bad bubbling under the small rune that I had not seen before. In the end I just painted red around the edges of the rune to blend it in to the surface—minor bubbling doesn't really show up under the black.

Russian, Alternative, Conversion

The varnish also crackled a little in some areas. It felt warm and dry outside today but there are so many environmental variables that affect spray varnish that I just don't know what went wrong. I corrected the worst of it by painting gloss varnish over the affected areas then re-spraying the matte varnish very lightly. I need to stop my perfectionist obsessing and be happy with the end result—it doesn't look too bad.

Meanwhile, the Autarch was mostly basecoated last night, but went for a swim in the paint stripper jar this morning. I started painting him without a real plan, made a lot of on-the-fly colour changes, and the basecoat was just too thick and rough for my liking. He's clean red again at the moment, and we'll see how I go basecoating him again later today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment