Featured Post

Analysis: Astra Militarum Regiment Mathhammer [Revised]

Now that most of the rules from the new Codex Astra Militarum have previewed/leaked online, it's time to start our proper Faction an...

Tuesday, 7 April 2015

Project: Astra Militarum Update #3


It's been a long time between posts, so here are some 'proof of life' pics to assure you all that I am still alive and painting!


Here is the latest incarnation of my wheeled Taurox conversion, this time using the Zinge Industries wheel kit. This kit is so much easier to work with than the previous conversion kit I tried. The suspension assembly comprises just two pieces of robust and detailed resin that snap fit onto the stock Taurox kit—so easy!


The Zinge kit also comes with a lot of great stowage bits, alternative exhausts, and windscreens for all the holes in the stock Taurox hull. At £15 this is not a cheap conversion kit, but it really looks great and I highly recommend it.

With all the base colours applied (in my new green colour scheme) I am now ready to start applying some of the scale modelling weathering techniques I've been researching—or I would be, if the supplies I ordered a month ago had arrived yet! I've since changed suppliers and will hopefully be able to progress soon. My next steps will be:

  • Sponging (paint chips)
  • Matte varnish
  • Filter
  • Gloss varnish
  • Decals
  • Wash
  • Matte varnish
  • Pigments
  • Final detailing (glass/lense effects)
My focus will be to restrain myself during the weathering process; the look I am going for is 'well-maintained equipment in an unforgiving environment' not 'Orky rust-bucket'!


I have also finished applying base colours to my two wheeled Chimera conversions. These guys need stowage attached, but they are coming along nicely.

Also on my workbench is a Hellhound/Devil Dog that I have nearly finished base colouring, and a Leman Russ Executioner/Punisher still under construction—I am awaiting a magnet resupply to finish building this guy. Next in the construction queue are another two Executioners/Punishers, two Exterminators, and a Hydra/Wyvern; these guys will enable me to add a Steel Host to my army and bulk it out to 1850/2000 pts.


Things aren't progressing as well on the foot-slogging front, with my Guardsman test model remaining the solitary fully painted model in my Astra Militarum army. I do, however, have enough models assembled, based and partially base coloured to field the following:

  • Company Command Squad with Plasma Guns
  • Veteran Squad with Plasma Guns
  • Veteran Squad with Meltaguns
  • Veteran Squad with Meltaguns
I played in a 2000 pts doubles game on the weekend using basically every assembled Astra Militarum model at my disposal (and I was still under 1000 pts!) and had a great time cleaning up some Orks and Tau alongside my stinky Plague Marine allies. The firepower output of Mechanised Veterans is pretty damn good. What I noticed most in my weekend game was how much I miss Eldar rerolls; I think I will be looking to fit Dozer Blades and Vox Casters (or Creed) into my Astra Militarum lists because failed Dangerous Terrain and Orders rolls cost me VP several times. Engineering reliability into an army list can really improve your gameplay.

My focus now is on building and base colouring more tanks so I can start playing bigger games soon. With that said, I do really want to completely finish at least one vehicle so I have a test model to inspire me to complete the rest of my armour. Of course, I'll then have to turn my attention back to grinding my way through infantry painting...

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your new weathering scheme. Already looks proper military and you haven't even started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm determined to make this green scheme work!

    ReplyDelete