Featured Post

Analysis: Astra Militarum in 8th Ed, HQ Units

Let's analyse the HQ options available to Astra Militarum . Like all my reviews, this will be from a competitive play perspective, ...

Sunday, 12 April 2015

WIP: Astra Militarum Taurox Conversion #5



Here are some WIP shots of my wheeled Taurox conversion immediately prior to the application of the enamel filter. Wish me luck that I don't ruin this model for a third time...


I like the contrast of the sand-coloured stowage against the green armour of the vehicle. Note the paint chipping on the ladder to the side hatch; this is an area that would be subject to a lot of wear-and-tear so I've distressed the paintwork accordingly.


You can see more paint chipping on the undercarriage. I've concentrated on the inside of the wheel wells, which would get sand-blasted as the Taurox drives through the desert.


The stowage on this side of the vehicle comprises ammo boxes, tools and a jerry can. I want my army to look like an expeditionary force, so they should be carrying a lot of utility gear with them. In painting this Taurox I've experimented with using both metallic paints and metallic pigments over black paint. The best examples are the tools, where the heads are painted with Army Painter Gun Metal and the shafts are painted black then rubbed with Secret Weapon Metallic Iron pigment. Also look at the hatch wheel: that was painted black then rubbed with a graphite pencil.


After all the weathering is done, the final step in painting the Taurox will be to paint all the 'glass' details like the headlights, taillights and viewports. I'm planning on yellow-orange for the headlights and taillights, and either blue or red for the viewports.


This guys has been coated in matte varnish (Testors Dullcote) ready for the application of an enamel filter (MIG Filter Brown for Dark Green). Hopefully the result will be a darker, richer green similar to what I achieved with my Void Shield Generator using Army Painter Quickshade Strong Tone.


Wish me luck!

UPDATE: The filter has been applied and... great success! It was very easy to apply and the Taurox is looking great! I think I may have to apply two or three layers to enrich the colour to a point that I'm happy with, but that should be easy enough. Photos during the week!

4 comments:

  1. I was scared for a moment...can't wait to see the updated pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guarantee I was more scared!!! :)

    I haven't had a chance to apply extra coats yet, and I'm leaving them to dry overnight instead of force-drying with a hairdryer, so it will probably be this weekend now before I have pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second filter layer is on, and it's looking good! I think I'll stop here, the tone is what I was aiming for, and the second layer was harder to apply than the first. I've read that matte varnish can only take 2-3 filter layers effectively, before it stops flowing properly, and I understand what they mean now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teasing without photos! But glad it is working out this time! Looking forward to the next shots!

    ReplyDelete