Featured Post

Analysis: Astra Militarum in 8th Ed, HQ Units

Let's analyse the HQ options available to Astra Militarum . Like all my reviews, this will be from a competitive play perspective, ...

Saturday, 10 December 2016

Project: Heresy Era Iron Warriors


Today I'm very excited to announce my new hobby project: Heresy Era Iron Warriors! I picked up a copy of Betrayal at Calth a while ago, and with the recent release of Burning of Prospero and the growing popularity of 30k in my area, I've finally decided to take the plunge and collect a small force of Legiones Astartes.

For quite a while I thought I'd eventually collect an Emperor's Children force, but the thought of painting all that purple was way too scary—especially at my glacial speed of getting stuff painted. It was the release of plastic Mk III marines in the Prospero box, and this iconic image, that changed my mind:

Oh yeah, that picture is awesomesauce, Heresy Era Iron Warriors here I come!

I did a bit of research and learned that Iron Warriors are quite a popular legion; they may not be the hands-down most powerful legion on the tabletop, but they are still pretty good and they also suit a footslogging-shooters-plus-artillery style of army list. This is a very different style to what I am used to playing (in 40k) with mechanised Astra Militarum, Knights, and occasionally Eldar and Tau, but that suits me just fine since I want my 30k army to be something new and different.

I also learned that Iron Warriors can make decent Terminator-heavy lists, which appealed to me both on the aesthetics of Cataphractii Terminators but also on the low model count needed to form the core of my army. Low model count plus a paint scheme based on metallics, drybrushing and washes means that this might actually be a project that I can finish!


Here is the first instalment of this project:

  • The two plastic characters from Betrayal at Calth
  • Twenty plastic Cataphractii Terminators from Betrayal at Calth
  • Two plastic Contemptor Dreadnoughts from Betrayal at Calth
  • Twenty pairs of Iron Warriors Cataphractii shoulder pads from Forge World
  • Five Cataphractii chain axe arms from Forge World (I really should have ordered ten)
  • Ten alternative Cyclone Missile Launchers from Anvil Industry
My plan is to build the following models from this pile of plastic and resin crack:
  • A converted Cataphractii character, that could represent the Erasamus Golg special character that unlocks Terminators as Troops
  • Ten Tyrant Siege Terminators—a whole squad of Terminators with Cyclone Missile Launchers!
  • Ten Legion Terminators, probably all with combi-meltas and chain axes
I'm not sure what bitz to use for combi-weapons, since most versions of combi-weapons that I have seen appear to be too modern, and not fitting with the archaic style of the Cataphractii models.

This should make a modest force that I can realistically build and paint in the coming months. From there, I hope to expand it with some Mk III marines built as Breachers and Iron Havocs.


Time to start building!

0 comments:

Post a Comment